Beekman Livingston was born Dec. 11, 1762, in Poughkeepsie and in 1781 he was a proprietor of one of the two stores in that village. It was located on the southeast corner of Market and Cannon Streets and carried an assortment of dry goods, groceries, drugs, hardware, etc. On the night of Oct. 19, 1781, he illuminated the store when word was received of the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown (James Hl. Smith, Hist. Dutc. Co., 1882, p.142). The records of Christ Church, Poughkeepsie show that he lived there in 1784 and 1790, but he was in New Lebanon, N.Y., in 1786, helping in the store of his brother-in-law, Paul Schenck.
There are conflicting accounts as to his family and where he spent his last years. Hiw wife is known to be Catharine Marsh of Poughkeepsie although there is some evidence that he had previously been married to a Miss Kelcey. On leaving Poughkeepsie he went to the Genesee Valley and an extant letter, written by his nephew Dr. Charles P. Livingston, to the latter's father in 1817, gives an account of a trip he took in northern New York. He visited a daughter of Beekman, Mrs. John W. Cady in Johnstown, N.Y., and he relates of having been told that his uncle had removed to a farm 25 miles out of Johnstown. Another family account states that Beekman died in Syracuse but a diligent search by his descendants through a large number of cemeteries and through inquiries at many Surrogates' Courts have yielded no results.
This family [Paul Schenck] lived in Millston, N.J., then in Bushwick, L.I., and later in Wappingers Falls, N.Y. In 1774-78, he was manager of a mill which Leonard Lewis had established on the Val Kill where it enters the Hudson River, and during this period he lived in the Lewis House. The site rapidly increased in importance and became known as "the Upper Landing." In the 1780's he was in New Lebanon, N.Y., and around 1800 he was back in Poughkeepsie where he was a well-known merchant. He was a member of the Committee for Detecting Conspiracies Aug. 9, 1777, along with Andrew Billings, Peter Tappan, and John Schnenck. His name appears on the list of Deputies to the Provincial Congress in 1776, and he was among those who signed the Articles of Association.